My house smells wonderful...



...because I've been making Wish Dolls. Each one comes with a small fragrant pillow - either a lavender sachet or Indian musk blended with a touch of Orange blossom.


The lavender is easy. It's dried lavender flowers from Lavender Wind, a pesticide-free farm on Whidbey Island north of Seattle, that I sew into mesh pillows and then inserted with a minimum of stuffing into the Wish Doll double sided pillow. The great thing about lavender, aside from the aroma, is that to refresh the sachet, all you have to do is squeeze it.

The musk is a little different. I cut small squares of muslin or poplin and stuff them in a sealed jar with musk oils and orange blossom to absorb the oils. I wrap each piece in some poly batting and stuff the pillows.

When I say Indian Musk, I mean that literally. My mother-in-law traveled to India a lot in the 1960's and 70's and brought back oils, incenses, art work, and amazing fabrics.  She sent over a very mysterious, small dark bottle with her handwritten label. Only a few drops are needed of this very viscous oil to fill the whole house with exotic perfume. She also sent me another bottle of less thick musk (still vintage), that I blend in to stretch the precious Indian musk. The Orange Blossom is fresh and wonderful - just adds something to the blend.



This latest batch of Wish Dolls will be on my Etsy store as soon as I take the photos - just in time for Mother's Day. Stay tuned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern to Market Challenge - Mood Board 1